Visit Castro da scoprire

Bishop's palace

Ancient residence of the bishops of Castro, the current former bishop's palace is the result of construction phases and renovations of different eras that occurred between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries.

It consists of a small courtyard, formerly surrounded by a high wall with an arched access portal.

The restoration work carried out in the late 90s revealed a small necropolar area on the ground floor with tombs dating back, mostly, to the fifteenth century.

The upper floor of the building was built at the behest of the bishop of Castro Monsignor Agostino Gorgoni and bears the coat of arms of Monsignor Grande, archbishop of Otranto, on the main facade, in memory of the restoration of the nineteenth century building, during which the ancient wooden vaults have been replaced by stone vaults.

Following the suppression of the diocese of Castro in 1818, the structure was used for cultural activities.

Città di Castro

Via di Mezzo S.N.
73030 Castro
P. IVA 02597820758

 VisualizzaGoogle Map

Contacts

Tel. 0836 947005
Fax. 0836 943896
info@visitcastro.com

Follow Us